Friday, May 4, 2007

The Pumpkin Patch


The smell of fall was in the air.
I loved the colorful leaves
crunching under my feet.
Life was so simple back then
when my only worry
was which pumpkin to take home.
I jumped out of the car
and ran up to the old pumpkin patch,
My parents called my name,
telling me to wait.
My pigtails blew in the wind
while I waited for my parents to catch up to me.
Dad disappeared and came back with a little red wagon,
just my size.
As I hopped in I yelled, "Faster!"
as my mom pulled my down the long aisles of pumpkins.
I gazed out into the sea of orange pumpkins,
who were just waiting to get a new home.
After what seemed like hours to my parents,
I pointed and squealed, "That one!"
To my parents' surprise it wasn't the biggest one in the patch,
it was the littlest one with a cute and stubby stem.
Perplexed, my parents asked me why I chose such a little pumpkin.
Using my 2 year old mind I exclaimed,
"It is little like me!"
My parents nodded their heads,
smiling, and paid for my new treasure.
As we left I proudly carried my new baby pumpkin to the car.

2 comments:

raalmyesyen said...

I love that picture. It is so cute. The poem is really good. You included good details and explained everything so well. Also I like how you remembered the events and explained them like you were a child again. I loved your poem and picture. Awesome!!

SpottyC said...

How cute! I love that poem. The picture is adorable. You had alot of good poetic devices that made the piece flow. I really liked how you used the dialogue having what you said when you were two. Great Job!