Sunday, June 3, 2007

Women's Rights




I recently read a book called Star-Crossed. The main character, Patricia, was trying to get back home where her father had left her his sugar plantation. The only problem was she was a woman. Meaning she could not own her own land. She would have to marry a man if she wanted to get the plantation. But instead of marrying some one, she dresses up like a man and works on a naval ship as a surgeon's mate, in order to get money to get to the island where the plantation is located. She had to disguise herself as a man because women could not get a job that payed very well, if it even payed at all. Because during this time period women did not have very many rights.

I found a website that talks about early attitudes shown towards women, the legal status of women, and more. I found the facts to be very interesting to see how women used to be treated.

Another website that I found showed how women from different countries around the world fought for their rights.


When I first decided to choose this topic I thought that it was no longer a problem. But through further research I have found that it is a problem, not necessarily in the U.S. but in other countries. I believe that women's rights is not a very big issue in the U.S. But it is a big issue in other countries, such as Iraq, where women's rights are endangered on a daily basis.

Visit the websites and then share you opinion.





No comments: