Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"The Feather that Broke the Camel's Back"


I am almost finished with the book, and when Tom dies, it was something that caught me off guard and I did not expect. I should have been expecting it because in retrospect, it makes perfect sense. I admire Tom very much as a person. All throughout the trial, Tom acted like a gentleman and showed no temper or animosity at all even though he knew that he was innocent. There is no way that I could have kept my cool when being put into a courthouse under trial for a crime you never committed. When he was found guilty, he did not cause an uproar or anything. Maybe it was because he had lost faith from the very beginning, because back then, black men NEVER were proven innocent so why would he be an exception? I guess we will never know, but i cannot even begin to understand what it feels like to be discrimated against because of the color of my skin. Prejudice is one of those things that makes life impure. It makes me sick that people would once judge someone just because of the color of their skin. It is the saying that "People fear and dislike what is different." When Tom was killed, him running over the fence did not make me think of him lower at all. He knew he would be killed anyway, so he tried to take it like a man and do the only thing left possible to do. TKAM has really touched me and I never thought that it ever would.

1 comment:

BlondeC8 said...

I wish Tom wouldn't have lost hope!That was really sad ,but I really didn't think his chances of living were going to be any better.In what ways did the book touch you??I think this book just showed me how racist people were in the South,and it showed me not all people were racist such as Atticus.Also it showed me to be brave,take risks,and don't judge others.