Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tonight's Reading (Chapters 23-25)


The book is just getting better and better as I read more. I don't know if I want it to end and when it does I am not sure how it will end. I still have a lot of questions about Boo Radley and how Jem broke his arm but at least all my questions about Tom are answered. It totally shocked me when I read that he had been shot and died. I was so not expecting that. I really don't understand why he chose to run away when he still had the chance of getting let free. I really think Attticus could have got him set free being the good lawyer he is but then again there was a lot of prejudice people out there during this time. I can only wonder what would have happened if he wouldn't have tried to escape and not gotten shot. Would he have been set free? I can't even imagine all that he was going through being black and all. There must have been so much stress. It must feel terrible to be charged for something you really didn't do but not being able to do anything about it. I wonder if Mayella ever thought that by kissing him just once would change both of their lives forever.

Another part of the reading that really stood out to me was the discussion that Jem and Scout had about all the diffent kinds of people there were in Maycomb. I think Jem had it all wrong by saying there were four kinds of folks: the ordinary, the Cunninghams, the Ewells, and the negros. I agree more with Scout, there are only one kind of folks and that is folks. We were all created the same way, who cares if we look different or act different, we are all human beings and that is all that matters. I think we should all treat each other the same no matter if we aren't as intelligent as another person or are a different color then another person. All men are created equal it states that in our constitution and that is how are country should operate, no questions asked. During the trail this principle was not carried out at all. Instead of the jury listening to the story and really deciding who they felt was guilty, they sided with the white man just because they were prejudice against the blacks. This is so unfair. Everyone should be able to have a fair and equal trial and not be punished because of their race or religion. I can totally see where that survey that Ms. James gave us before we read the book fits in. There are a lot of controversial issues hidden in this book. I think it is very important for kids our age to learn about these and the different views and opinions that come along with them.

3 comments:

BlondeC8 said...

Good post!!I really want to learn more about Boo Radley as well!!I agree with Scont on the fact they they are all folks but I think Jems is trying to say people treat one another as if in a clase system.That is the way they treat each other at the moment ,but they SHOULD treat each other the way scout said.

SpottyC said...

I think that maybe Tom Robinson did not really run away because that really does not seem like his personality. I think that a bunch of the mean racist men came out and all took turns shooting him. If Tom had really been running away it would only take one bullet to stop him and there were seventeen bullets in him. The story that the police people told sounds pretty unreasonable.

Boot said...

I do not want it to end either because I am afraid that it will be the kind of book that will leave you hanging and not knowing what really happened! I want to learn more about Boo as well he is a very interesting character! Why did Jem brake his arm?