Thursday, March 15, 2007

Breaking the Barrier


In the reading of "To Kill A Mockingbird" i have read this week, I have gained more interest in the story. So many things have happened from going to Calpurnia's church to the shooting of the mad dog. I have also noticed a change in the characters. Jem has obviously has began "you-know-what" and his mood changes in different parts of the story and does not seem to be the carefree, nonchalant youngster from the beginning of the book. I really admire the kind of person that Atticus' is. He is a very busy man and is constantly being criticized by the Finch family for his parenting, but he is only trying his best. He is a man who hardly lets his temper get to him and is very good at letting things go. When he is called a "****** -lover" it seems not to phase him at all and he tells Scout and Jem to ignore it all. There is no way that I could let it go and especially if it was my father that they were talking about. He is a man who seems pure amongst the racist community that he lives in. He does not follow the "bandwagon" or what anyone else thinks, but sticks up for his values and what he believes is right, and for that reason, Atticus is without a doubt my favorite and most inspirational character of the book.

4 comments:

SpottyC said...

I do think that Atticus is a very corageous person because he stands up for the little man in most all situations. I think that he makes a good parent because he corrects Jem and Scout when they are wrong but he also makes sure that they learn from their mistakes. Atticus is also good at encouraging his kids in what is morally right instead of what they should do to fit in and be accepted. Atticus realizes that morals come before your pride and that you can take pride in your morals.

BlondeC8 said...

I'm kind of sad that Jem is changing.He is getting up tight and got in a big fight with scout.He is older than she is and should not have fought back but walked away.I'm glad Atticus is actually doing his duty of actually defending Tom and is not falling in the peer pressure trap of the rest of the community.

Hogwired said...

I admire Atticus too! He seems so calm all the time and seems like he doesn't have any worries except maybe his work. I like how he stands up for Tom Robinson even though he is colored. There is a lot of things that are going on right now and I can't wait to see what will happen next.

peanutbutterisyummy said...

I totally agree with you and spottyc! Atticus is a very admirable character! He takes pride in his morals and he doesn't care what other people say about him! His parenting is different but I think it's a good kind of different! He's one of my favorite characters, too.